Thursday 1 May 2014

In order to gain the knowledge of my audience whilst planning my music video I produced two seperate peices of audience feedback. Firstly I got together with three other media students in order to produce a focus group. Within this focus group I would ask them any relevant questions and record their response. The second piece of audience feedback I created was a poll which is situated on the side of my blog. Below, the results of both sets of audience feedback and what I learned from them can be seen:

The first important knowledge I gained from this feedback was that narrative was pretty unanimously the favoured media concept for music videos. The fact all three taking part in the focus group mentioned narrative when asked for their favoured concept show it's popularity for this technique amongst an alternative rock audience. As well as this the poll also confirmed the superiority of the narrative approach with 5 out of 7 tick 'Narrative' when asked for their favoured concept. It was intresting to note that Chloe (a focus group member) stated a narrative is important as it a allows the audience to understand the lyrics by creating a story. I took all of this advice on board and made my video largely narrative and created a story based on my own interpretation of the song lyrics. However, I also noticed within the focus group that a mix of performance and narrative is also enjoyed with 2 of the 3 claiming they like this approach. This knowledge, coupled with the fact the remainind 2 poll voters opted for 'Performance' was another for me to also include an element of performance within my final prduct. This mix of the two also allowed me to stick with the typical conventions of alternative rock video which largely use a mix of narrative and performance.

This leads me onto the second key information I gathered from the audience feedback. Within my focus group I asked whether they prefer a music video which follows or breaks conventions. Here I gained another unanimous answer in favour of following conventions. Ford (another member of the focus group) stated breaking conventions i good if the intention is to make a humorous video, however following conventions is the best way to offer a serious effect. This was key advice which I took on board. The fact I wanted to create a narrative based on serious topics such as alcoholism and suicide meant the best option for me would be to follow as many conventions as I can











No comments:

Post a Comment